5.03.001.001 - Acceptable Use of Information Technology
The Community College of Beaver County (CCBC) provides information technology resources to support users in academic research, learning and teaching, and administrative operations. These resources include but are not limited to computers, internet and intranet access, College telecommunication and data communication networks, and instructional technology equipment.
All users of these resources are expected to act responsibly to maintain the integrity of the resources. Users may be held accountable for their conduct under any applicable CCBC policies, procedures, or collective bargaining agreements as well as local, state, and federal statutes. Complaints alleging abuse of CCBC’s information technology resources will be directed to the representatives of the College responsible for initiating appropriate corrective action. Reports will be filed with the appropriate authorities for any conduct which violate any local, state, or federal statutes.
Examples of behaviors constituting abuse which violates CCBC Board Policy 2.100 include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
Misuse of Resources
- Gaining or attempting to gain unauthorized access to information or resources that are private or protected
- Using the CCBC Network to gain unauthorized access to any computer systems
- Performing an act which will interfere with the normal operation of CCBC information technology resources
- Knowingly or carelessly allowing someone else to use your account who engages in any misuse in violation of Board Policy 2.100
- Forging email messages
- Attempting to circumvent data protection schemes or uncover or exploit security loopholes
- Masking the identity of an account or machine
- Deliberately wasting computing resources
- Downloading, displaying, uploading or transmitting obscenity or pornography, as legally defined
- Attempting without authorization from CCBC to monitor or tamper with another user's electronic communications, or changing, or deleting another user's files or software without the explicit agreement of the owner
- Damage, destroy, interfere with or disrupt the operation of college-owned programs and equipment
- Failure to use Beaver County Library System card to access PCs and other Library equipment.
- Defaming or otherwise causing harm to another person using CCBC’s information technology resources whether by direct or indirect reference on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation
- Using CCBC’s information technology resources to harass or threaten others
- Knowingly downloading, displaying, or transmitting by use of the CCBC Network sexually explicit images, messages, pictures, or cartoons when done to harass or for the purposes of harassment
- Posting on electronic bulletin boards material that violates existing laws or CCBC’s Codes of Conduct
- Publishing false or defamatory information about another person.
- Use of CCBC’s information resources for any commercial activity, unless explicitly authorized by the College, is prohibited.
- Use of CCBC’s internet access and e-mail systems for other than educational and work-related purposes is prohibited.