5.01.005.001 - Employee Travel Guidelines
Travel at the expense of the College must be in connection with official College activities and be of benefit to the College.
Employees traveling on College business must complete a Request for Professional Development/ Business Meeting Travel Approval Form prior to making any travel arrangements.
Supporting documentation for the travel should be attached.
The President or his/her designee must approve travel by employees on College business or by students traveling for official purposes. The Board Chair must approve travel for the President and for Board members.
Local travel between work sites or to local meetings and conferences will require only the submission of a travel approval form if there is a registration fee.
Travel costs including:
- Airfare at the lowest fare available, and necessary ground transportation at the destination (car rentals at the destination must be approved before the trip)
- Automobile travel in a personal vehicle at the IRS mileage rate
- Rental vehicle (with prior authorization) and the cost of gasoline
- Lodging costs including parking
- Registration fees for professional conferences
- Telephone calls involving College business
EXPENSES NOT REIMBURSED
- Travel insurance
- TV movies
- Gasoline if using mileage reimbursement
- Cost of mileage if it is greater than the cost of coach class airfare
- Personal telephone calls
- Alcoholic beverages
- Dry cleaning or laundry services
- Cost for meals, travel, or lodging for spouses or other guests
- Fines for parking and moving violations
Original receipts are required for reimbursement of travel expenditures. If one individual is submitting meals for two or more College employees on a single receipt, a list of all those included must accompany the receipt.
PROCEDURE FOR TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AND AUTHORIZATION
Submit completed Request for Professional Development/Business Meeting Travel (including required approvals) Form to the Travel Coordinator.
If you have made travel arrangements yourself, contact the travel coordinator for assistance for approval of the travel arrangements that you have made.
- Air Travel: Reimbursement will be limited to coach fare, and every effort should be made to secure the lowest fare available. This requires advance scheduling and flexibility in selection of airline and time of travel.
- Rental Car: Enterprise Rent a Car in Monaca will provide vehicles and directly invoice the College. This requires completion of a Request for Professional Development/Business Meeting Travel Form and submission of a purchase requisition and appropriate approvals through the Jenzabar Purchasing Module. The College will reimburse the cost of gasoline for rental cars. Personal Vehicle: mileage will be reimbursed at the IRS rate. When determining whether to drive your personal vehicle or rent a car, compare the cost to the College of your mileage to the cost of rental and fuel.
Conference or Meeting Registration Fees for authorized travel can be paid directly to the conference organizer through a purchase requisition, or charged to a personal credit card and reimbursed through a travel reimbursement form.
The traveler should arrange for lodging at the hotel where the meeting, convention, or conference is being held at the conference rate, or at a nearby moderately priced hotel. The College does not normally prepay lodging. Hotels rooms should be charged to a personal credit card, and the original receipt should be submitted for reimbursement.
Whenever practical, the most economical mode of transportation should be used to and from hotels and terminals. These expenses (including gratuities) will be reimbursed. Many hotels provide complimentary shuttle service to and from airports. The traveler should inquire about this service when making hotel reservations.The cost of a rental car at the destination must be approved prior to the trip.
Reimbursement of travel expenses requires completing of an Expense Statement and submission of all required receipts. Completed expense statements should be submitted within thirty days of travel.
Those individuals who require a travel advance for approved travel, must submit a Travel Advance Request by Monday of the week before the planned travel. A check will be available on the Friday before travel.
Individuals who received a travel advance must submit a completed Expense Statement with required receipts and refund of any excess funds within ten business days of return from the trip. The advanced amount may be deducted from the next pay of individuals who fail to submit receipts, and will eliminate the opportunity to obtain travel advances in the future.
Local travel between work sites or to local meetings and conferences will only require submission of a Request for Professional Development/ Business Meeting Travel Form if there is a registration fee.