3.05.001.007 Student Grade Appeals
Category: ACADEMIC SERVICES
Section: STANDARDS OF ACADEMIC PROGRESS
Policy: Academic Progress Standards
Approved By: President's Staff
The Community college of Beaver County recognizes the right of students to appeal grades, provided the student feels he/she can demonstrate tangible evidence he/she has been graded unfairly.
Informal Grade Appeal Procedure
- If a student wishes to appeal a grade, he/she must attempt a resolution of the grade in question through an informal discussion with the respective faculty member involved.
- The grade appeal process must be initiated by the student within 30 days of the start of the semester following the one in which the grade in question was earned.
- Disputed grades from the spring semester may be appealed for 30 days into the following fall semester.
- If the dispute cannot be resolved between the faculty member and the student, the student must then meet with the appropriate division director to present his/her reason as to why the grade was wrongfully given.
- Prior to the meeting, the student must present a written copy of the reason for the appeal and request what action to be taken to resolve the dispute.
- The division director and faculty member involved will meet to review the student’s grade in dispute, and a decision will be rendered to the student within three (3) working days.
- If the student is in disagreement with the decision rendered by the division director, he/she can pursue that decision through the Student Grade Appeals formal procedure.
Formal Grade Appeal Procedure
- the student must initiate the formal Student Grade Appeals Procedure through written communication of the Vice President for Learning and Student Success/Provost, or assignee, who will then evaluate the situation and render a decision to the student within one working week.
- If the student is dissatisfied with the decision rendered by the Vice President for Learning and Student Success/Provost, he/she can appeal that decision in writing directly to the College President. The College President’s decision will be final.
Repeating a Course
- A student is permitted to repeat a course; however, the last grade issued will be the only grade included in the student’s cumulative quality point average.
For purposes of this policy, “the last grade” means grades A, B, C, D, or F.