Education: Pre K - 4
Degree Offered: Associate in Science
Credits Required: 62 (2016-2017 Academic Year)
The backpack icon indicates that this particular CCBC major is a Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Center (TAOC) approved Associate Degree program.
For more information visit, www.PAcollegetransfer.com .
The program is designed to equip individuals with knowledge and skills to work with young children, aged birth through eight, based on nationally recognized standards. Students will learn to work with young children in group settings such as childcare facilities, preschools, Early Head Start and Head Start programs, family home daycares, early intervention programs and various other settings.
Students will learn through classroom discussion and instruction, hands on activities and 280+ hours of observation and field experience. With the educational background and skills acquired, graduation will qualify the student for an assistant teaching position. With experience the graduate may be considered for supervisory positions such as group supervisor, lead teacher, or director. After graduation, students may consider opening their own childcare facility or family home daycare or transfer to a four year institution to earn a baccalaureate.
Graduates will be able to
- Use knowledge of young children's needs, characteristics, development, and influences to create supportive, respectful, culturally relevant and challenging learning environments.
- Identify and assess family and community characteristics and support families by involving them in their children's learning and development.
- Practice and apply effective assessment strategies to positively influence the development of young children.
- Design, implement, and evaluate experiences that promote positive development and learning for all young children, using a wide array of developmentally appropriate approaches, instructional strategies, and tools to connect with children and families.
- Utilize knowledge and resources to design, implement, and evaluate meaningful, challenging curriculum that promotes comprehensive developmental and learning outcomes for every young child.
- Identify and use ethical guidelines and other professional standards related to early childhood practice and develop a commitment to professional development through lifelong learning.
- Prepare, organize, and plan for entrance into teacher certification program.
- Develop the knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions necessary to promote the development and learning of young children across the entire developmental period of early childhood and in a variety of settings that offer early education.
Criminal Background Checks & Child Abuse Clearance Information
Curriculum - 1st Year
Requirement: Apply for DPW Child Abuse History Clearance (ACT 151), PA State Police Request for Criminal History (ACT 34), and Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) during ERCH 100.
First Semester - 15 Credits
|CIST 100||Introduction to Information Tech ||3.00|
|ERCH 100||Introduction to Early Childhood ||3.00|
|ERCH 105||Childrens Developement Health Safet ||3.00|
|WRIT 101||English Composition ||3.00|
|PSYC 101||General Psychology ||3.00|
Second Semester - 16 Credits
|COMM 201||Public Speaking ||3.00|
|EDUC 201||PAPA Preparation Prep 1 **||1.00|
|ERCH 101||Observation and Guidance ||3.00|
|ERCH 103||Creative Content in Early Childhood ||3.00|
|LITR 210||Concepts of Literature ||3.00|
| ||TAOC Category Six (FINE or MUSI) - 3 credits|| |
Curriculum - 2nd Year
Recommendation: Take PAPA EXAMS (Math, Reading and Writing) exams by end of 3rd semester.
Third Semester - 16 Credits
|EDUC 220||Teaching English Language Learners ||3.00|
|ERCH 205||Language and Literature ||3.00|
|ERCH 212||Caring for Infants and Toddlers ||3.00|
|MATH 112||Math for Elementary Education I ||3.00|
| ||TAOC Category Four - 4 credits|| |
Fourth Semester - 15 Credits
|EDUC 230||Introduction to Special Education ||3.00|
|ERCH 200||Diversity and Inclusion in Early Ch ||3.00|
|ERCH 250||Early Childhood Practicum ||3.00|
|MATH 114||Math for Elementary Education II ||3.00|
| ||TAOC Category Five (HIST) - 3 credits|| |
*Passing PAPA Math, Reading and Writing scores are required for transfer to four year institutions.
Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests
- A student must have a minimum of a “C” in all ERCH and EDUC courses to graduate from the program.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to register for the Early Childhood Practicum course.
- Students out of the program for five years or more may be required to repeat selected courses on the guidance and direction from the Dean.
- Students are required to wear a navy blue or white polo shirt and khaki pants to ALL field site placements, site observations and the practicum.
- Students are required to wear a blue CCBC lanyard with student ID attached to all field site placements, site observations and the practicum.
- Students will be placed at field and practicum sites by course instructors.
- Students must apply for PA Criminal Record Background Check (Act 34), PA Child Abuse Background Check (Act 151), and Federal Criminal History Record Information (Act 114) before or upon start of any ERCH course. Students are required to complete all required field placement hours. Failure of student to apply for and receive clearances in a timely manner does not alleviate the field hour requirement. Clearance will remain valid as long as the student is continuously enrolled as a student at CCBC. Students are required to carry their background clearances with them to all field site placements, site observations and the practicum.
- Students must have a negative mantoux test or chest X-ray before participating in any field placements, site observations or the practicum.
- Students must have the current physical requirements to work with children.
- Application for ERCH250 Early Childhood Practicum must be submitted to full-time early childhood faculty or division director the semester BEFORE the student enrolls in the course.