Before being accepted into the Police Academy candidates must:
- Provide a physical examination form completed by a doctor certifying that they meet the physical requirements mandated by the MPOETC.
- Complete and pass a Pre-Entry Psychological and Reading Exam. Candidates must have a 9th grade minimum reading / comprehension level.
- Complete and pass a Pre-Entry Physical Abilities Exam.
- Provide a Criminal History and (10) year Driving History meeting the requirements required by MPOETC.
- Pay tuition in full or make arrangements for aid if applicable at the college cashiers office.
- Purchase sufficient uniforms,shoes and PT gear as specified by the Academy.
- Provide all necessary paperwork and complete all testing as described in the entry-level application before you can be accepted into the Academy.
Included as part of tuition:
The following will be provided as part of your tuition:
- Required books, paper, pencil, handout materials.
- Use of Glock Model 17 9mm semi-automatic pistol and 2000 rounds of ammunition and Remington .12 Ga. Shotgun and ammo and Bushmaster-A3CarbineHeavy16"Barrel ModelBCWA3F16,Semi-Auto,.223cal with .223 ammo.
- Use of police vehicles for patrol procedures and defensive driving classes.
- Over 919 hours of quality Act 120 training presented by dedicated and experienced staff and instructors.
Graduation & PA Certification
To graduate you will be required to:
- Successfully complete 27 exams, covering 20 modules of training, with a minimum score of 80% (MPOETC requires dismissal from the Academy upon 2nd failure – One failure can be made up at a later date).
To be certified as a police officer in Pennsylvania:
- You will be required to pass a certification exam administered by MPOETC officials after being hired as a police officer to be certified for employment as a police officer in Pennsylvania.
The following links will help interested persons with any questions regarding Act 120 Certification and requirements for certification:
- www.mpoetc.state.pa.us Municipal Police Officers Education & Training Commission Website
- www.psp.state.pa.us Pennsylvania State Police Website
* Criminal History Check can be obtained online by going to the Patch application link
NOTE: All applicants must complete and return the Physical Examination Form included with the application and pay the application fee before they will be permitted to take the pre-entry testing. Applicants will be notified by mail of testing dates.