Risk Education and Personal Protection
There are many things that we can do to protect ourselves and lower the risk of experiencing sexual violence. The following are some tips that you can follow and educate others about:
- Avoid dangerous situations such as dark isolated areas , empty buildings or traveling alone.
- Walk with confidence.
- Have a cell phone accessible at all times.
- Do not walk with both headphones in your ears.
- Never agree to meet alone with someone whom you met online.
- Do not leave a drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) unattended.
And, remember to always have a safety plan:
- Be aware of exits or escaping routes around you.
- Have a safe place that you know you can always go.
- While driving, keep all doors locked.
- Always keep gas in your gas tank.
- While walking anywhere, have your keys in your hand.
- Carry a whistle or some type of noise maker.
- Memorize important phone numbers.
If someone is pressuring you to engage in any type of behavior that is uncomfortable and you need to remove yourself from the situation, you should:
- Lie or give an excuse as to why you have to leave.
- Have a code word around friends to alert them that you want to leave.
- Always have an escape route in mind.
- Tell a friend anytime you feel uncomfortable in a social situation.