Risk Education and Personal Protection
There are many things that we can do to protect ourselves and lower the risk of experiencing sexual violence. The following are some tips that you can follow and educate others about:
- Avoid dangerous situations such as dark isolated areas , empty buildings or traveling alone.
- Walk with confidence.
- Have a cell phone accessible at all times.
- Do not walk with both headphones in your ears.
- Never agree to meet alone with someone whom you met online.
- Do not leave a drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) unattended.
And, remember to always have a safety plan:
- Be aware of exits or escaping routes around you.
- Have a safe place that you know you can always go.
- While driving, keep all doors locked.
- Always keep gas in your gas tank.
- While walking anywhere, have your keys in your hand.
- Carry a whistle or some type of noise maker.
- Memorize important phone numbers.
If someone is pressuring you to engage in any type of behavior that is uncomfortable and you need to remove yourself from the situation, you should:
- Lie or give an excuse as to why you have to leave.
- Have a code word around friends to alert them that you want to leave.
- Always have an escape route in mind.
- Tell a friend anytime you feel uncomfortable in a social situation.
About 11% of men are sexual assault victims
1 in 5 women women have been victim of an attempted or competed rape
Rape Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin McGraw, developed an app called “Aspire News” which is a free application which contains summaries of top stories in world, sports, and entertainment news. Additionally, if you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, the “Help” section of the app contains resources for victims of domestic abuse. **This app does not serve as a replacement for emergency
The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was developed to be the backbone of our nation’s response to violence against women and was pioneered by Joe Biden. The 1 is 2 Many Campaign launched the “Circle of 6” app which puts group of friends instantly in touch with each other, so if someone is in trouble they can send a “Come and get me” message, complete with a GPS location map. This app is available for free downloading from the circle of 6 website and the Apple App store