Drugs, Alcohol and Sexual Violence:
They Never Mix
According to research, 50% of sexual assaults occur when a person is intoxicated. The use of any type of drug and/or alcohol lowers or inhibits a person’s judgment or resistance to certain behaviors. Alcohol and drug use can cause a person to misread body language or cause a person to act in a way that they would not normally act in a social situation. When a person is under the influence of drugs and alcohol they may be more likely to engage in risky behaviors.
Remember, it is rape if:
- You cannot understand that a person is trying to tell you “No”.
- You do not stop and listen when a person is saying “No”.
- The person you are with does not have the capabilities because they have been inhibited by drugs or alcohol to say “No” (Drug Facilitated Assault, 2009).
Here are some facts you need to know about the substances most commonly used to inhibit or influence a person's behaviors:
When drinking with others it is important to keep the following points in mind:
- Always arrive and leave any social gathering with other people.
- Never leave a drink unattended and always keep your drink covered while socializing at an event.
- Keep track of the amount of alcohol you are consuming.
- A person’s mood can affect how they may act after consuming alcohol.
- Alert a friend or seek medical attention if you become very tired suddenly and/or feel a sudden onset of drunkenness that is not warranted from a large amount of alcohol consumption.
- “Roofies, Roach, The Forget Pill, Whiteys, Mind Erasers”
- Resemble an aspirin
- Can take effect 30 minutes after ingested
- Effects: Drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, nausea, increased blood pressure, memory impairment
- “Grievous Bodily Harm, Liquid X, Easy Lay, Cherry Meth, Vita G, Energy Drink”
- Come in clear odorless liquid or powder form
- Can take effect 15 minutes after ingested
- Effects: Sedation of body, intense drowsiness, verbal impairment, slowed heart rate, headache, respiratory failure, seizure like activity
- Can be twice as potent as GHB
- Bitter taste which comes in many flavors
- Can take 30-40 minutes to take effect once ingested
- Effects: Amnesia, hypothermia, coma, lethargy, agitation, loss of bowel control, cardiac arrest
- People who have ingested this drug may appear to act normal but will have no recollection of the specific time period
- Anti-anxiety/ sleeping medication
- Come in a liquid or powder form
- This is the legal form of Rohypnol (“Roofies”)
- Effects: Impairs much of a person’s functioning and takes away a person’s resistance capabilities
- The producers of this drug have changed the makeup of this pill so that if the pill is ever dropped into a liquid it will turn a clear liquid blue or a dark liquid cloudy
- "K-Hole, Special K, Purple, Vitamin K, Psychedelic Herion"
- It is used as an anesthetic by veterinarians
- Come in a liquid form
- Effects: Feeling of detachment from body, impaired motor skills, agitation, hallucinations, confusion, depression
- “E, X, M&Ms, Lovers Speed, Hug Drug”
- This drug is considered a hallucinogenic and stimulant
- Comes in small pills, capsules, powder or liquid form
- Effects: Hallucinations, tremors, sweating, blurred vision, increased blood pressure, pulse and body temperature, heat stroke
- This drug can cause an increase in positivity towards others and an increase in sensitivity to touch